IT will reach out and let you know if you need to update your OS or replace the computer. Once you hear from us, here are some ways you can prepare for your update or replacement.
Computer software and accessories needs assessment
If you think you may need to new software or adapters before you upgrade, fill out the computer software and accessory needs assessment form. IT will help you select and purchase replacements as needed.
Whenever you receive a new Mac or update your Mac operating system, there is always a chance that your current software, peripherals, or adapters may not be compatible. PC computers do not usually suffer from incompatibility as regularly as Macs, but you still might need to update your older software. Old software can be challenging to install, configure, support, not function well, and create security vulnerabilities.
Back up your data, free up space, and find your application installers
For computer replacements
- Since we must reinstall applications during computer transfers, you need to ensure you have the application installer files and licenses for any software not provided or installed by IT. Please see our list of standard software installed by IT.
- If possible, make sure you don’t have more than 200 GB of data on your storage drive (including OS). If you have more than this, we might need more than four hours to set up your computer and transfer all your data. Both Apple and Microsoft have recommendations for making space on your drive. Also, we request that you offload personal data to an external device or cloud storage. Please do not use 3rd party storage like iCloud or Dropbox for Biola data unless pre-approved with IT.
For OS upgrades only (no computer replacement)
- It’s a good idea to back up your data before updating your OS. Ensure you have a complete and current Crashplan backup.
- Since Crashplan Cloud doesn’t back up applications, you need to ensure you have the application installer files and licenses for any software not provided or installed by IT.
- Make sure you have enough free space on your storage drive.
- macOS upgrades: Up to 40 GB free, depending on the version.
- Windows 10 build upgrades: Up to 20 GB free.
- Please offload personal data to an external device or cloud storage. Don’t use 3rd party storage like iCloud or Dropbox for Biola data (unless authorized by IT).